Welcome to the weekend feature! It’s all the very best things in one end-of-the-week roundup: books, homeschooling, blog posts, nature and wonderful things from around the web.
But before we get to that, have you ever checked out The Grace-Filled Life Facebook page? It’s your one-stop place for encouragement, inspiration and laughs throughout the week. You can also find TGFL on Pinterest and Instagram. Come visit any time!
This Week on the Blog
In case you missed it, here’s what’s been happening on the blog this week:
- Imperfect but Called: When Jesus Invites You to Follow Him
- Wolf Pups, the Cure for Asthma, and Other Spontaneous Adventures
Also, four years ago, we made the decision to throw open our doors on Halloween. This is what I wrote at the time.
This Week in Nature
It’s freezing cold out but … the salmon are spawning! This week, we had the opportunity to watch them at a nearby creek. It’s always one of our favourite things to see in fall.
This Week in Books
This post contains affiliate links. Please view our full disclosure policy here.
Between the five of us, here’s what we’ve been reading:
Picture Books and Readers
- By the Light of the Harvest Moon by Harriet Ziefert – This one is a new favourite.
- I Know it’s Autumn by Eileen Spinelli
- Good-bye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak – This one is an old favourite.
These books can be found on my giant autumn-themed booklist, “100+ Autumn Themed Storybooks to Read to Your Child“. If you’re looking for ideas, this list a great place to start!
- Mary Poppins Comes Back by P.L. Travers – I’m not sure how many times my eldest has read this book, but it is certainly one of our most well-loved books!
- Imprisoned in the Golden City by Dave and Neta Jackson – After reading about Adoniram Judson in Hero Tales during Morning Time, my daughter remembered that we owned the full-length biography. She loves expanding on the snippets we read during devotions, so she pulled it off the shelf and spent the afternoon immersed in it.
- The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party by Dean and Shannon Hale – My middle daughter adores this series.
- Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson – I’m still working my way through this amazing book.
This Week in Homeschool
- Our routine has become so very settled and regular. Most days (though not always), it’s absolutely lovely because we all know exactly what to expect and when to expect it. We begin the day with devotions, prayer, poetry, a picture book, a grammar drill, a math drill (the girls earn Smarties for correct answers), spelling and history or geography. When we’re finished our morning routine, the girls start their individual work (penmanship, math and language arts).
- My second grader’s language arts program is very teacher-intensive, so I work one-on-one with her on that. She reads aloud to me from her Elson reader and then answers reading comprehension questions.
- I’m also on hand to answer questions and mark their other subjects.
- In Wednesday’s science class, we learned all about salmon. What a great class!
- This week, we added Möbi and Math War into our afternoon to help reinforce the basics. Both games were a hit.
Snippets from Around the Web
Last but not least, here are some of my favourite things from around the web this week:
How to Avoid the Crushing Cycle of Exhaustion as a Homeschool Mom
One final thing? I came across an amazing quote on Instagram this week and just had to share:
Such good food for thought!